Sunday, June 25, 2006

See You On The Flip Side

The interesting thing this weekend while I was away on a baseball trip, without my sweet Lola, is I got into the bed on the left side of the bed. I was sleeping near the bedside table that had the alarm on it. All seemed pretty normal. I was ready for a good night sleep on the left side of the bed. The really strange thing is that when I woke up in the morning I was completely on the right side of the bed. In my sleep I naturally move to my normal sleeping arrangement.

Is it just me or does every one have a 'side' of the bed. This my only apply to people that have been in extended relationships but I think everyone has a side of the bed that they sleep on. It is the side of the bed that they own. I own the right side of the bed. While I have been sharing sleeping quarters with Lola for a few years I have almost always slept on the right side of the bed. On the cruise I was on the right side of the bed. In the hotel in Ft. Lauderdale. At her brother's on a air mattress on the floor. Was it always like this?

I know I have slept on the left with Lola before. In Orlando during the Air Conditioner episode and strangely any time we have spent the right at my parents.

Now the thought that comes into play is if there is a dominant side of the bed. Should I, as a man, be sleeping on a designated side? Is there a male or female side of the bed? Or is it just a matter of preference? I can't really remember but I think I never really had a side before. I usually just slept on the side with the alarm clock on it.

I guess I have now just been conditioned to sleep to the right.

Ring a bell and I will salivate.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i also can't ever remember having a conversation about which side of the bed i should sleep on, but coincidently i currently sleep on the left side of the bed, and in my previous relationship, i also slept on the left...leaving the right side to my boyfriend...maybe the right side is really the dominate male side? in which case, you are in good shape!
sometimes we switch it up if we are in a hotel or a different bed, but usually that is based on which side is closest to the window or the air conditioning, and i take the side farthest away as i get too cold in the middle of the night.
if i am sleeping on my own, i always start out in the middle, but in the morning i am almost always back on the left. so i have to conclude that in my experience we do get conditioned to a particular side of the bed. plus all my stuff is on the left...my alarm clock because i don't know how to work his, book, chapstick, waterbottle, eyeglasses, massage oil(to be used on me!)...all the night time necessities.
anyway...i don't really know why i felt the need to carry on and on about this, but there you have it! my vote...left side for the woman, right side for the man!
t

June 26, 2006 12:16 a.m.  
Blogger Todd said...

as you know from my blog, i have not yet been conditioned to a side of the bed. In fact, I tend to wake up side ways...Good news, I do have a date tomorrow.

June 28, 2006 9:39 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home