Friday, May 05, 2006

ms Westerdam, Spring Panama Canal Cruise, Volume 7

It is almost over and this will be my last blog from the high seas. We are currently booking it north along the California coast and about 900 people left the boat in LA. It makes a big difference to see that many people off the boat. It is noticeably less cranky…whoops…I mean less crowded.

Some pretty exciting things have happened over the past few days. Both Lola and I have won at BINGO. I won a wallet filling $36 and Lola again beat me and won $100 this morning. These were our first wins at BINGO. We can now leave the boat in peace.

Lola and I have will also be bringing home a lot of ‘dam’ merchandise. Lola won the gold in the Olympics and won a huge pile of stuff. The bigger news of the last couple days on the ship was that I finally clutched up and won the Game Show Mania finals. I beat out Lola, Kendra, and George. I have to admit that a few questions just fell in my lap but I am taking the victory just the same. To all those we play Pop Culture Trivial Pursuit with, I have done you proud.

The weather has changed very quickly and we are below 20 degrees today. After 3 weeks of 30 plus this is a big change. The sunscreen can now be packed away as I feel we will no longer need it.

LA, or what really was Long Beach, we really uneventful as US Customs made sure to try and break the Waiting in Line World Record. It was a day when old people reached their peak of crankiness. There wasn’t really anything to see so Lola, Mama, and I went Chili’s for lunch. Mama had the baby back, baby back, baby back, Chili’s Baby Back Ribs. The more I eat at restaurants in the US the more I understand why there is a weight problem. The portions are just too big. I imagine I would have weighed double what I weigh now had I lived in the US.

Just a few more days and we leave the boat in Seattle. I imagine crossing the border should be a good time. I am making sure to eat lots of beans the not before to at least make it interesting for the strip search.

We have quite a few pictures and quite a few stories. One little tidbit is that with all the elderly on board there have been a few stops where people have been taken off the boat by stretcher and Ambulance. In the back of my cruel mind and bass line from a ‘Queen’ song strums along. Do-Do Do Do Do, Do Do Do Do Do, and another one bites the dust.

I am going to hell but I am trying to make the trip at least a little fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home