Friday, April 01, 2005

The Wonderful World of Golf

I think over the past few years I may have figured out why so many business deals go down on the golf course. The course is where the true person comes out. The course is where you get to see what people are really like. The golf course is the ultimate truth serum.

Over the past few years, especially the last 12 months I have been golfing a bunch. I have taken a pretty unhealthy love of the sport, or game, or whatever you might want to call it. Some may call it torture. In that time I have golfed with a lot of different people, from family, to friends, co-workers and associates, some that I have known forever, some people that I have just met, and golf always opens people up to their raw emotional selves.

It is just something about the game. It is such a strange game of luck and skill. It is days where you can shoot a 55 on the front and then follow that up with a 42 on the back. It is this sort of rollercoaster that will crack the best people in the world out of their shell. The stress of the whole thing will open then like a can of corn. The true person will escape.

For example, I am a pretty happy-go-lucky guy but if I am having a bad run on the golf course I can get very, I guess surly might be a good word. My patience will only stretch so far. Things I was laughing about 2 holes before are now pissing me off and I just may explode (the best cure for this is throwing my ball in the water or using my putter on the fairway from 180 yards out). My true trait has been revealed. I will put up with some nonsense but don't push me too far. Not something that new people may know about me but they would find out in 2 hours on the course, something seasoned Duncan buddies may take months, or maybe years, to find out.

So, if you want an awesome first date, go golfing as the real person will come out and play and then you don't have to date a half dozen times to get to know them. They should show up by the 10th hole, or if things are going poorly, by the end of the 3rd.

Warning: This may not work if they are golfing for the very first time as they will probably laugh about every shot they take.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home