Saturday, January 29, 2005

Slow and Steady...

I write this in the general direction of a lady I saw in the gym tonight. Yes, I know, I was actually at the gym so before you question the validity of the comment saying that there was no way I was in the gym let me start by mentioning that I had a witness that I was there.

Now on to the lady in the gym...

Now let's say that this lady has spent a discount rate of $24.99 a month to get a membership at the gym. That is a good deal and it is a nice little gym. There is nothing wrong with going to the gym. Maybe she is trying to keep her New Years resolution. Kudos to her - she maybe is getting to the gym more than me.

Now to the point...

If you are going to the gym you should at least try and break a sweat if you are riding a stationary bike. She rode the bike for a solid 35 minutes but at the break neck speed of about 2 revolutions per minute. I thought I saw a thrill seeking snail on the pedal that looked bored.

Now my proposal...

I have thought of some great home activities that would have her burn as many calories as riding at her current technique and speed at the gym without spending the monthly gym fees.

1. Twiddle your thumbs - not only great cardio and calorie burning but strength building as well. After about a month of this there isn't a pickle jar that stands a chance against you.

2. Nap - Just make sure to shift your sleeping position a few times every half hour to make sure you get a great full body work out. Yawning before and after each workout is also recommended.

3. Knit or Sew - This burns calories as well as improves your hand-eye coordination and when it is all done - bam - sweet cardigan.

4. Flip though a magazine - It will build your biceps, improve hand speed, and is awesome for the trapezoids.

5. Tap your Foot - You can do this while watching TV. Feel the burn in your calves and thighs. Also great for toning the buttocks.

6. Nodding your Head - Not only a communication tool but improves range of motion, strengthens the neck muscle, and in the end can only lead to better posture. If you couple this workout with shaking your head the calorie losing potential is infinite.

I am only trying to help this lady. She spends money every month to do nothing for 30 minutes. She burns more calories walking from her car to the gym door. I beg you to explore my workout alternatives and if you need any other pointers, let me know.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Using the remote is my preferred exercise regimen. Steve

January 30, 2005 7:04 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home