Monday, January 31, 2005

A Chance to Meet

I have always found the world of celebrity to be a bit strange and feel that there is no way that they can have a normal life. Even normal conversation would be hilarious because of the fact that they are major stars. Everyone can't really like everyone else but they must run into each other at times. Are they obliged to say hi? Maybe it is just a quick little nod of the head, like a club thing, where you look at each other, nod, both knowing who the other is and how great you are, and then move on.

I have thought about this a bit and I thought it would be great to be a fly on the wall and see how a chance meeting might go. Everybody has to know everybody else somehow. As they say, it is "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon."

The Cast -
Tom Hanks
Catherine Zeta-Jones
Michael Douglas

The Setting -
On the set of the movie "The Terminal"

Time - Friday, about 5:00pm, local time, where ever that is.

A Chance to Meet
By
Duncan McAllister
Catherine: Hi honey, how are you doing today?
Michael: Pretty bored and a little upset.
Catherine: Why is that dear?
Michael: It was just the opening weekend for the "In-Laws" and no one went a saw it. Here I thought the world was clamoring to see me and Albert Brooks together.
Catherine: Don't worry about it honey, I am sure you will bounce back.
Michael: I am really starting to consider that Jewel of the Nile sequel. I mean, man, I had to make that crappy movie with my family to even get an acting job.
Catherine: Well, let me wrap up here and then we with go home and spend a nice romantic evening together.
Michael: Sounds great Cath. You always know how to make me feel better.
Catherine: Let me grab Tom. He has be dying to meet you.
Michael: I really don't want to honey. He is so damn successful it makes me sick and I am a hundred times better looking. It doesn't make sense. I don't understand how he is so great. I could have talked to a damn beachball for 3 hours too.
Catherine: It was a volleyball Michael.
Michael: What ever. It just doesn't make sense. That wasn't freaking Oscar worthy. Try working with Val Kilmer and make him look like he can act. Now that is talent.
Catherine kisses Michael and starts to walk towards the sound stage to the right.
Catherine (while walking away): I was doing some quick math today. Do you realize you will be 87 when Dylan graduates from high school.
Michael (shouting across the set): What? Did you say something?
Catherine disappears around the corner and comes back a few minutes laughing with Tom
Catherine: Michael, this is Tom Hanks, I am working on this movie with him. He is an actor.
Michael: Yes, thank you Cath, I know what Tom Hanks does for a living. Nice to meet you Tom.
Tom: Oh no, the pleasure is all mine. It is great to finally meet the legend. Catherine is always talking about you.
Michael: I hope only good things.
Catherine (giggling): Of course dear.
Tom: Only good things, I can assure you.
Michael: Well, it was great meeting you.
Catherine: Hey Tom, Michael is Kerplunk fan as well.
Tom: Really, well you should come and play some plunk with me and the guys. Peter Scolari, Henry Winkler, and I are always looking for a forth.
Michael: Sounds great. I will get your number from Catherine and give you a call. It has been a pleasure, really we should go though. (reaches out a hand for a shake)
Tom (shaking Michael's hand): Thanks Michael. I will give you a call next week for a plunk match.
Tom kisses Catherine on the cheek.
Tom: See you on Monday Cath.
Catherine: See you then, have a good weekend, say hi to Rita.
Tom: I will. See you later (Walks out of the studio)
Catherine: See that wasn't so bad and now you have someone to play kerplunk with.
Michael (glaring at the door): Why does he have to flaunt all his celebrity friends around like that? What a jerk?
Catherine: You are an idiot. Peter and Henry are hardly celebrities any more. And besides, you can bring Kathleen Turner and Tom Selleck with you if you don't want to go alone. They love Kerplunk.
Michael (frowning): Fine, but I am not playing on his team.
Catherine: You don't have to.
End Scene.
So how weird that was? If it was just everyday people it is a normal conversation but celebrities make it seem weird. I mean, just because they are celebs doesn't mean they can't play kerplunk, or operation, or for that matter, hungry, hungry hippos.

2 Comments:

Blogger T said...

Duncan!

I discovered your blog through Lola's link - I love it! Once I figure out how to set up links do you mind if I include your blog in it? My friends will love it as well!

"A Chance to Meet" was hilarious and entertaining, as were the previous posts, keep it up. Between you and Lola you are both providing me with much needed entertainment in Fort St John!

Take care, T

January 31, 2005 9:41 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey T,

Post the link where ever you like as I am trying to get my message out to the public.

Duncan

February 01, 2005 12:01 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home